9 Easy Strategies to Overcome Negative Thought Patterns.
Today I share important tips to overcome negative thought patterns to help empower you to make some changes to your thinking.
Feel free to share this as more need to understand overcoming negative thinking is much easier than you think.
If you can change your mind, you can change your life. – William James
Have you ever found yourself in an emotional place where you can’t help but focus on the negative? Negative thoughts drain you of energy and keep you from being in the present moment. The more you give in to the negative thought the bigger it becomes, until you just can’t shake it off. That is when you realise that it’s time to change your way of thinking.
When we start to have negative types of thought patterns, it is hard to stop and change them. And it’s even harder to stop them and shift your focus to positive thoughts. But it’s the only way, especially if you are wanting to avoid a painful and unnecessary path.
Here are 9 easy strategies to overcome negative thought patterns. When you change your approach, you change your thoughts.
- Accept that you will encounter negative thoughts – Avoid berating yourself because you are having a negative thought. It is hard not to dwell on your mistakes, life isn’t perfect for anyone. Challenge yourself to change your negative thoughts into more positive thoughts. For example instead of thinking, “I’m running late again to this appointment.” Think, “I’m going to be on time today for my appointment and everyone is going to be happy.”
- Take responsibility for your own thinking – Accept that your thoughts are coming from within you. The good news is that, you also have the control over what your thoughts are. If you don’t like what what you see in your thoughts… You can change them to something you do like.
- Keep the negativity to yourself – Now that you have taken responsibility of your thoughts, give yourself permission to control negative thoughts. Promise yourself that when a negative thought emerges you wont verbally share that negativity with those around you. If you decide to talk to someone about a challenging situation, that’s great. Just make sure that you have a better handle on controlling your negative feelings.
- Flip your mood – What does this mean… Get into a habit of when you have a negative thought, you flip your negative mood into a positive one. You maybe familiar with the saying “turn your frown upside down,” meaning change you mood from frowning at life to smiling at life, this is what you need to do. You have the power to flip your mood.
- Record the positive change to a negative situation – This is a fantastic way to help you flip the mood and take control of your negative thoughts. Have a pen and paper or your smart phone close at all times. When you experience a negative thought about someone or a situation, record something positive about it. For example, when you arrive at your appointment on time… then have to wait 30 minutes for your name to be called. You might find yourself feeling annoyed and think “why haven’t they called my name yet?” “I was here on time and now they are just ruining my day” We’ve all be in this head space… right?
You need to recognize your negative thoughts and flip your mood, focusing on the positives aspects of your appointment experience. You would write something like, “The Doctor is giving all his patients his full attention regardless of the time it takes.” “I will get that too.” How much better do you feel now that you have flipped your mood from negative to positive?
- Adopt a new mantra – Such as “Don’t sweat the small stuff” Recite your mantra over and over again. You’ll soon be ready to move on with your day.
- Praise your efforts – Once you’ve experienced the power you have over your thoughts, acknowledge your efforts. You could even reward yourself with motivation to maintain your positivity.
- Read positive quotes – Search Google for positive quotes and write them on Post-It notes and place them wherever you will see them the most. Your computer, fridge, mirror absolutely anywhere. These will remind you to stay positive throughout your day.
- List 3 things that you are grateful right now – Being aware helps appreciate what you already have.
Here’s my list: My family, My health and My Business.
Happy Positive thinking!
Was this valuable? Feel free to share with others and comment below if you like it!
If you enjoyed this post on , 9 Easy Strategies to Overcome Negative Thought Patterns Retweet and comment please.